Elliott, former student of Ormiston Bolingbroke Academy, is now a Master's student of Ancient History and Classics at the University of Birmingham.
- Elliott took some time out to work before starting his Master's degree.
- Elliott chose an undergraduate degree with a placement year in France.
- Elliott gained work experience and skills at a translation company between his degrees.
Elliott, former student of Ormiston Bolingbroke Academy, is studying a Master’s degree in Classics and Ancient History at the University of Birmingham.
Elliott attended OBA completing his GCSEs and A-levels and then moved to the University of York to study History and French. During his degree he completed a placement year in Marseilles. When he had completed his 4-year course he moved to Nottingham to work for a translation company, and he worked there for 2 years, mainly during the pandemic. Elliott then made the decision to return to education to complete his MA.
Elliott was fortunate that he had a strong support network; his parents and teachers pushed him and supported him. He has always enjoyed studying but wanted to work after this undergraduate degree to pick up skills that he might not necessarily have learnt at university. It didn’t feel right for him to go straight into a Masters, so he decided to take a few years out to work and be prepared to go back into studying.
Elliott’s advice about university for other OAT students:
- There is no rush when going to university. It can seem like a huge decision to make deciding whether to go to university straight from college or to carry on with studies after completing your undergraduate degree. It is important to realise that you have time to make those decisions, and it is ok to take the time out to do something else before you make the choice.
- Taking the time out can sometimes let you focus on what you really want to do, so you end up taking the right path even though it is not necessarily the most obvious one.
Masters student in Ancient History and Classics
Elliott, former student of Ormiston Bolingbroke Academy, is studying a Master’s degree in Classics and Ancient History at the University...