Esme, former student of Flegg High Ormiston Academy and Gresham's scholarship recipient, now is a student of Biology at the University of Sheffield.
- Esme was a recipient of a Gresham's Scholarship through OAT.
- Esme is now a Master's student of Biology at the University of Sheffield.
- Esme chose her course because it included a placement year abroad.
Esme, former student of Flegg High Ormiston Academy, is currently studying Biology at the University of Sheffield.
Esme knew that she wanted to continue her education in science when she left school. Her love of the subject was nurtured by her dad, and when she was young, then used to do experiments together, such as making motors, potato batteries and crystals. She was always reading books about the solar system, nature, and Maths, which sparked her interest in wanting to know how the world works. Her Science teachers at Flegg High then further nurtured this passion, and Esme also attended the STEM enrichment club.
In Year 10 to Year 11 Esme applied for the Gresham’s Scholarship through OAT. She was inspired to apply by an assembly about the opportunity and her parents and teachers supported her with the application process. She was successful in her application and attended Gresham’s. It was an incredible opportunity; Esme made friends from all over the world, and had so many opportunities like learning to surf, playing volleyball, and running the school half marathon.
Esme has just started studying her MA in Biology at the University of Sheffield. Her course has a second year abroad. She is taking modules in Plant Science, the Principles of Zoology, Genetics and Molecular and Cell Biology, combined with a compulsory skills module on Evolution.
Esme’s advice to other OAT students:
- Boarding at Sixth Form was a big change from secondary school, but it was so exciting and gave her a head start for university.
- Lots of places offer scholarships in different areas such as academia, sport, and music.
- Talk to careers advisers at your school, as they may know of other opportunities, and you may be able to apply through OAT.
- Don’t give up if you are not accepted; keep working hard and you never know what might happen!
Master’s student of Biology
Esme, former student of Flegg High Ormiston Academy, is currently studying Biology at the University of Sheffield. Esme knew that...